You can find detailed information about the program on our website:
Please take note of the following rules:
- You have to apply through our online application tool
- We do not charge application fees
- Applications by mail or email will not be accepted
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Applications which are not submitted will not be considered
- Referees will receive a notification once you submitted your application
The application period runs from December 18, 2020 to March 31, 2021 (11:59 p.m. (CET)).
In order to apply to the program, you first have to *register*. Thereafter, you will instantly receive a confirmation email with an activation link. Once your email address is confirmed, you can login to your site and complete your profile with the necessary information for your application. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive the confirmation mail.
You can logout and modify your application as often as you want until March 31, 2021 (11:59 p.m.), but you must submit your application before March 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. However, we recommend submitting your application as early as possible.
After submission no further modifications are possible.
Applicants who present a detailed offer by another doctoral program may ask the admission committee for an early decision on their admission.
You will need the following documents to complete your application (in pdf format):
- Letter of motivation: Please express your intention to study at the MGSE in a motivation letter. Be specific about your past studies and your reasons for being interested in the MGSE program as well as about your fields of interest, and your long-term professional aims. Your letter of motivation must be in English and shall not exceed one page.
- CV (Your CV must be in English and shall not exceed two pages).
- Certificate of secondary education (if available)
- Bachelor's diploma and transcript of records
- Master's diploma and transcript of records (if you have not yet finished your current degree, please attach a preliminary grade report)
- Proof of sufficient command of English (e.g. TOEFL)
- GRE test score: We require all applicants to send their score report directly to the MGSE via the Educational Testing Service (ETS). The ETS code number of the MGSE is 1883. In exceptional cases we may accept a scanned version of your GRE score report. Screenshots of your GRE results will not be accepted.
- Two academic reference letters (see information below).
Note: We will accept GRE Test At Home results as well for the 2020–21 applications.
In addition, you will need to provide the names and contact details of two academic referees who agree to write a letter of recommendation for you. These letters must have an official letter head from the university and be signed by the referee personally. In order to guarantee confidentiality, the referees have to upload their recommendations as a pdf file into our application system.
Do not ask more than two professors to write a recommendation letter.
The referee will only receive a notification and a link to upload the letter once you submit your application.
We recommend notifying your designated referee as early as possible.
The letters of recommendation should be uploaded by the referee as soon as possible and until April 5, 2021 the latest.
Information regarding Article 13 of the EU Regulation 2016/79 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data (GDPR, German: DS-GVO) is available on our university website www.en.econ.lmu.de/jobs. Please be aware that confidentiality violations and unauthorized third party access cannot be ruled out when using unencrypted e-mail communication.